We’ll be using sterling silver wire to create a lovely pendant that I hope you’ll wear home! Copper wire will also be available.
Lissa Flemming, owner of Silverwaves Jewelry and Workshop 46.8°N, is an art jewelry maker, torch slinger and anvil striker. She LOVES to share her jewelry knowledge and inspire creativity in a safe and inspiring atmosphere.
Even if you think you don’t have a creative bone in your body, Lissa will teach, challenge and empower you to find that creativity and make something glorious using the skills she shares during the workshop.
Lissa started her teaching career tutoring Biology during college and later continued coaching kayaking classes and later educating about the natural history of whales and ocean biology during mulit-day kayaking and whale watching adventure trips in Baja’s Gulf of California.
Now she splits time between creating jewelry for her gallery (Silverwaves Jewelry) and teaching at her dedicated jewelry studio (Workshop 46.8°N). She’d love you to join her as she assists you in opening your eyes, hands, and souls to the wonders of jewelry and metal.
– Butane torch safety and use in jewelry applications
– Use of hand tools and rotary tool (flex shaft)
– Use of hammers and metal stamps to texture metal
– Soldering safety and fun
– Use of sandpaper, liver of sulfur and metal files for finish work
– Enthusiasm and patience (remember you will be learning a billion new and fun skills for the first time—enjoy the moment and BREATH)
– 100% cotton apron (I will also have some to borrow)
– Close-toed studio shoes to wear during workshop. Studio space is very slippery with wet shoes so we recommend leaving those at the door.
– Reading glasses or magnifiers
– Headband, clip or holder to keep your hair back when soldering
– Your own hand tools, drilling station, soldering station, etc if you wish (a lot of people prefer to use their own; I know I do!)
– Notebook and pen/pencil to jot down important ideas, thoughts, etc.
Lunch is provided by Chef Lars of Cooking with Lars. And (WOW!), are you in for a treat. Please let us know if you have any food allergies or special food considerations so we can pass that information along to him.
There will also be a tea kettle and complimentary assorted RISHI teas available throughout the day as well as sparkling botanicals available for purchase.
Click the link below for some ideas on where to stay during your visit to Bayfield.
CLOSEST AIRPORTS: Duluth, MN (2 hour drive); Minneapolis, MN (4.5 hour drive)